But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Moments

I love Christmas. I really loved Christmas when I was a little girl. It was downright magical. The suspense of Santa. The endless amounts of sugar. Making presents for my parents at school. The church Christmas production. When you're 6, there's just not much to complain about in the month of December.

Once I found out the truth about Santa, I still found Christmastime to be magical. Mind you, I was devastated to find out this disappointing truth. But it was still exciting. I can remember waking up early with my siblings and the suspense of waiting to open our presents was almost unbearable yet completely thrilling.

The older I got it seemed the intensity of the Christmas magic lessened. It was still there. But instead of living in a mystical Christmas euphoria for a month, I would have moments that embodied Christmas bliss.

I can remember my sophomore year of college, my roommate and I went ridiculously all out to decorate our apartment for Christmas. I'm talking all out. We covered our walls with black paper and put up snowflakes, laid white, sparkly fluff on our living room floor for snow, hung a paper chain around the entire apartment, and there was more. I can remember one night we had all of the normal lights off, our Christmas lights on, hot peppermint tea in hand, and we sat in our magical living room talking for hours. That moment embodied Christmas bliss for me.

My Christmas in Thailand was...unique. But one morning, very, very early, I woke up my sweet girls to start getting ready for school. And like every morning, Sarah crawled into my lap and wanted to be held. This morning the girls were in the living room by our Christmas tree to avoid paint fumes in their bedroom. So, I held Sarah earlier than either one of us wanted to be awake in the light of the Christmas tree. And it was the sweetest Christmas moment for me.

And tonight I had one of those freeze time moments. We have the unbelievable delight of having my brother, his wife, and their cute daughter at our house for Christmas. After the AMAZING Christmas Eve dinner that my mom made, all of the "adults" were playing a game together, and I set to work to make a dessert for tomorrow. I was listening to some worship music when Ryann came walking into the kitchen asking, "Blue, whatchu doing?" Ryann immediately became my little helper. She kept saying, "I'm helpin Blue make a cake! So yummy!" We sat side by side, assembling quite the chocolate cake batter. Occasionally we would hear some shouts and loud laughter coming from the other room, but I wanted to be nowhere else. I loved having Ryann's help even if every step wasn't executed perfectly. It was a magical Christmas moment I wanted frozen in time.

And though I always want to have these moments that feel especially "Christmas," I'm finding I'm more and more grateful for the birth of my Savior. There's something about teaching preschoolers the story of Jesus' birth that made me take in the wonder of this story with a new appreciation. I tried to help them imagine a long journey to a far away place like Bethlehem. I tried to depict what a sight it must have been for the shepherds to witness the magnificent angels as they sang, "Glory to God in the hightest!" I wanted them to know that the reason why Christmas is so great is because God gave us the greatest gift of all- Jesus.

I sure do love Christmas. But I really love the reason for Christmas. Jesus' birth truly is the thrill of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment