But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Monday, January 4, 2016

My Christmas Wish

Like with Nolan's first Christmas (he was 5 months), all I really wanted for this Christmas was to be able to hold Isaac on my chest while he slept. Isaac is even less of a cuddler than Nolan was at his first Christmas. I ended up getting my Christmas wish with Nolan because he slept HORRIBLY the entire time we were home for the holidays. I got my Christmas wish answered 9 nights in a row. I even got to wake up on Christmas morning with my baby asleep on my chest. It was magical.

This year I had my doubts that this would be possible because Isaac hasn't slept on me without a baby carrier since he was 2 months old. He just doesn't do it. 

But Christmas miracles do happen!

On Christmas Eve day we were at my parents' house, so I could make cookies with the girls. Isaac got put down for his morning nap, and he woke up about 20-30 minutes after he fell asleep. That kid never does that anymore. He sleeps 2 hours almost like clockwork at his morning nap. I should've been concerned at this point, but honestly, I was just annoyed. He was so unhappy once he was awake, and he only wanted me to hold him. Even then he was fussy. Again, all clues that something was up.

We eventually hustled home, so I could get Isaac down for a real nap. He went to sleep again for maybe 20 minutes before waking up mad. At this point, I finally clued in that something was probably up.  I had given him tylenol before his nap, but it was clearly not helping. 

Sweet Isaac Dean was not feeling good. He had a fever, and he was just plain miserable. He only wanted Mommy, and he didn't want to move. 

While I was hating the fact that my boy was clearly in pain, Isaac settled his self into my chest and stayed there for basically 5 hours. There was a quick trip to a doctor's house to see if we had an ear infection on our hands, but other than that, in my arms, on my chest for 5 hours. 



Oh, and the thumb! I sat on the couch or in the rocker snuggled up with Isaac all afternoon. I got my Christmas wish! I wanted him to feel better, but I wanted to hold him for forever. I'm trying to come up with the right words to express the perfection that was holding Isaac, but I can't. 


Is that pitiful or what?

I write this just so I can come back and remember how it felt to have my baby completely relaxed and as close to me as possible. My body actually ached for him the next day. I just wanted to do it all over again. Without the fever and obvious pain. 


Mimi got some of the sleepy snuggles Christmas Eve night too. There is nothing so precious as a sleeping baby. 


And don't worry. The next day he was kept completely comfortable with a combination of Motrin and Tylenol. He had a Merry First Christmas. And I'll be holding onto my Christmas gift for as long as I can remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment