But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The Part Everyone Dreads

It's May 1st, so we've gone a full month without Sammy.

The first two weeks were very hard for me. I tried and tried to put words to what I was feeling, but I couldn't, still can't. It was the strangest thing to have this noticeable gap of someone missing. My schedule blew wide open without his therapies and appointments. I was feeding one less mouth, buckling one less carseat, and hugging one less little person. Sammy took up much of my mental space for a lot of reasons, so I was left with just gaps all throughout my day. While much of my work load was lightened, I quickly picked up the weight of how this transition would affect him.

Part of what was so strange about him leaving is that he was just 10 minutes away but it felt like he was plain gone. 

When we dropped Sammy off, we immediately left for a Lighthouse retreat, and by the time we got to Florida, I regretted the decision to do this retreat 100%. The heaviness was thick, and I didn't know how I could possibly step into an attitude of service. Two days after we arrived, one of Adam's co-workers casually asked us how it went dropping Sammy off, and I choked out, "I'm not quite ready to talk about it," and then I turned my head as tears quietly made their way down my face. It was a hard week being in retreat mode, and then we had to face our first week at home without Sammy once we returned. 

We got home at 9:30 at night from a very, very long day. We were quickly ushering the boys to bed, and I saw Sammy's room, door wide open, and I had to catch my breath. We're home. He's not. 

But with each passing day, our new rhythm was more firmly established. Life with two little boys instead of three continued to be odd, but I mentally began to make the shift.

In the weeks leading up to this transition and in the weeks after, I cannot count how many times people said to me, "I don't know how you do it. I couldn't. I couldn't let them leave." 

It's a hard thing to hear over and over. Because most of the time you have no choice but to smile and nod and clinch your jaw. 

But the thing is, there's nothing special about us. This is hard. And it should be. But what you realize about fostering in literally no time at all, this whole thing is not about you. It's just plain not about you. The moment Sammy came into our home, our efforts have been towards his wellbeing, his healing, and his growth. He deserves to have people attach to him because it is for HIS good. It's ok that this was hard on us. It's ok that we got attached. Because taking in a child who has no one was never about us. And Sammy was never ours to keep. This broken system of fostering often means someone gets hurt. But the hope is that  these kids who have already experienced trauma are better off because of the pain we experience once they leave. 

We have lived through the part that everyone dreads. We've lived through the loss, and now that I'm on the other side, I'd absolutely do it again. We have every intention of doing it all again. 

We are now a month post transition. Sammy came to our house last week for a few hours because his foster parents needed childcare. And it was the oddest thing. There will always be a special place in my heart for that little boy who wrecked me in ways I needed to be, but there was this confidence in my heart that he no longer belonged with us. I could tell that I was no longer carrying the weight of his wellbeing. Now I get to be on the sidelines cheering his foster family on. 

We made it. We loved. We lost. And we're okay. 



No comments:

Post a Comment