But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Monday, May 4, 2020

To My 5 Year Boy

Oh Isaac,

I have caught myself several times just staring at you over the last several days. It seems obvious to me that you are changing, but I keep watching with great intention to see if I can catch the changes happening. You are really leaving behind those toddler days and ways, and now you are a big five year old. You hung on to your sweetness and toddler-ness in (mostly) good ways, and I see the bigger boy you are becoming. 

Isaac, you are a joy. You are full of laughter and silliness. You adore your baby sister, and you idolize your older brother. You have a tenderness that extends to those beyond your inner circle, whom you are fiercely loyal to. I hope I never forget (totally will) when you cried at a documentary showing a baby elephant's mom dying, leaving the baby elephant to go on in life without its Mama. It was too sad for you to watch. You came to sit with me and asked, "Is this real?" I often have to remind myself that you might possibly feel more strongly than the other boy we are parenting. 

Buddy, you can be a wrecking ball of affection, literally knocking us over with your hugs and love tackles. I have to ready myself when you come running towards me, so I can withstand your impact. I love that about you. You love hard. Literally. We still have to keep such a close eye on you with Elliana because we know that your strong love for her often leads to you squeezing her while uttering, "I just love her so much!" 

Four year old you would still choose to slip your hand in mine when we walked or hiked or just crossed the street. I don't know if five year old you will still do that. You exclaim several times a day, "Mommy, I love you!" And I try to pay attention, when I can, because I'm pretty sure teenage boys don't do this. As I said, I can already see that you are changing right in front of me. You are growing, moving towards wild boyhood. I'm confident I will love the boy you morph into, but Isaac, I have loved every bit of who you are as my little guy. My kitchen companion. My sidekick. My hair holding, thumb sucking, little boy. 

I love you, Isaac Dean. I love you, I like you, I enjoy you, and I'm proud of you.

Happy Birthday, big 5 year old! 
You are a gift!

Love,
Mommy






No comments:

Post a Comment