But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Teacher Appreciated

This coming week is Teacher Appreciation Week. But it started last night for me.

One of my 4 year olds invited me over for dinner. Her mom and I have been trying to coordinate our schedules for weeks, and it finally worked out for last night. This sweetheart of a girl, we'll call her Joy, whispered in my ear 3 times at school on Friday that she was excited for me to come over. She's adorable every day, but her enthusiastic grin made her all the more endearing.

I confess that on the way to her house, my eyes were burning because I was so tired. A typical Friday involves an early bed time due to pure exhaustion. I was excited to see sweet Joy, but I knew that I was so tired.

Joy was waiting at the door for me to pull up, and the moment I walked in the door, she was literally jumping because she could not contain her excitement. We spent the next 30 minutes darting from one thing to the next so she could show me all the important stuff at her house which included her bed, her dollhouse, her "extra room" (closet), her sink where she brushes her teeth, her books (loved that!), her brothers' rooms, and her playhouse. I've never seen this kid so hyped up before. It was hilarious!

We had a delicious dinner- Joy, her mom, and myself. My place at the table was surrounded by treats, gifts, and drawings by Joy. This little girl took such delight in having me sit with her. Her mom warned her that I would not be able to stay for too long. Her mom was PARANOID that they were keeping me from fun Friday night activities- which made me laugh. But because of her mom's warnings, she would rush up to her mom and frantically ask, "Is it time for her to go?!" After a very hurried dinner due to Joy insisting on further play time, we explored outside, enjoyed the creek, and climbed up into the treehouse. We had desert, a mini concert compliments of Joy and brothers, and a lot of laughs!

I could have stayed for HOURS! Joy's mom is a wonderful and wise lady who loves the Lord, loves her husband, and is absolutely crazy about her kids! I so enjoyed the minimal conversation I had with her. This is a mom that EVERY teacher wants to have on their side. She is also one of the moms begging the elementary principal to move me up to kindergarten. It was overwhelming to be with them for the 2.5 hours last night because they loved me so deeply. The mom actually went out and bought jalepeno ranch dressing because she knows I love Mexican food so much. Who does that?!

All night I kept thinking, "I really don't deserve this!" And I still feel that way. I said to Joy's mom repeatedly, "You really didn't have to do all of this!" To which she shushed me and said she loved doing it. And I believe her. They want to have me and the boyfriend over this summer for a bonfire in their backyard. Her husband wants to take him fishing, and they offered to let me live in their extra room while I try to find another place to live.

It was just unreal. Joy was near tears as I was pulling out of the driveway, and she told me she was so sad that summer was almost here. I assured that we could be friends even in the summer, and she jumped into my arms.

On days when I'm overwhelmed, missing home, and tired of the school politics, things like last night remind me that I'm richly blessed to be right where I am. I was so humbled as this family poured out their love and appreciation for me. I'm thankful for this family, and I have hopes that my relationship with them can grow and deepen. The community that God is giving me isn't quite what I envisioned when I moved out here, but God has surrounded me with amazing women who have been such an encouragement to me in ways they don't even know.

I am a blessed girl. I don't really need Teacher Appreciation Week. Last night was more than enough for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment