But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Monday, July 16, 2012

It's the Little Things in Life...

There's some stuff from Haiti that was really heavy and really sad. And those images and stories will stay with us. But there was also some really funny events, and Adam and I frequently talk about those. 


We lived on a compound while we were there. SMI built a really big house for teams to stay in when they come. The Guitton school is within the compound walls, and there's also a basketball goal and soccer goals. They play soccer a lot. And they often play barefoot. On rocks. It looks so painful.


Anyways, there's lots of open space for these kids to come hang out with us while we're there. One evening in particular, the kids were crazy! I mean, kids everywhere and running around like circus performers. The sun was well on its way down, we had already eaten dinner, and the whole team went back out to hang with these attention starved kids. 


There were two boys in particular, running around uncontrollably, with NO pants and NO underwear. Just a long t-shirt and their sneakers. Adam chased and chased them, and he got tired long before they did. They were probably 3 or 4 years old. And they. were. trouble. 


That's the little boy- rocking the same type of outfit. Long t-shirt, but no pants and no underwear. Note: this picture is from a different day and inside the school. 


So, after Adam gave up, chasing these 2 energizer bunnies (more like monkeys!), I started playing with them. They love to be chased. Love to never be caught. But at one point this little guy, yanked on my arm. 


I looked down at him, and he stood there with his legs shoulder width apart, picked up his right leg, and slammed it down. Then he very proudly, pointed down at this shoe. Which just happened to be a light up shoe. So, naturally, the little red lights were flashing. And a smug grin filled this guys face. 


Of course, I praised his awesome shoes, which I then realized, only the 1 still lit up. But I watched him go person after person, pulling the same stunt. Leg slam, point, and nod. He knew he had awesome shoes. 


I smiled because my preschoolers do their own version of showing off their light up shoes (genius invention- by the way!). 


To this day, Adam and I will occasionally stomp our own foot and point down at our shoe. Because it was so cute when he did it. And SO dramatic. And he took such delight in his one light up shoe. I wish that I could give him a pair of light up shoes that actually fit. That both shoes actually lit up. But I know he's thrilled with the one he has. And that challenges me to be content and glad with what I have. 











No comments:

Post a Comment