But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Stories And More Stories

I wanted to wait to post again until one more person from the team posted their pictures because Adam and I know he has pictures that we really want to see. But he's taking his sweet time to do that. 


We've spent time each day talking about Haiti. About the stuff that's not sitting well with us. The stuff we come back to each time our thoughts wonder to our new friends. And my sweet husband just so badly wants to "fix" it, but he can't.


SMI is set up in Guitton. We spent a lot of time there, but they have projects in 2 other villages. Nawash is one of them. And all of my stories and pictures today are from there.


The first morning we went to Nawash, Monday, I met this little boy.


His name is Sadio. Or something close to that. They say he's 6, but he looks 3 or 4. He crawled into my lap and hung out with me for a while. He's about as cute as they come. I wanted to take him home. He's small enough to sit on my lap on the plane, right? 


When we came back that next day, all of the kids were much more comfortable with us being there, and they all flooded the church as soon as we arrived. We had the music on, and the kids were all helping us as we poured concrete. In fact, our assembly line was too crowded, so I started dancing and encouraging all of the little kids as they carried the empty buckets back to the pile of concrete. My little man, Sadio, would carry the bucket and dance the whole way back. He'd bounce with it, nodding his head, and confident he was cute. Because he is. 




There were so. many. kids. While the men were mixing more concrete, 2 of the girls on the team decided to try to get a duck, duck, goose game going. Of course, these kids didn't know how to play. So, they showed them how to play. Someone interpreted for them. 




When everyone was "clear" on how to play, Heather started it off. She chose Sadio as the goose, and he chased her but she made it back to his spot. His turn now. He walked around the circle and finally said "goose" to a little girl, and he bolted for the plantain fields. I mean, took. off. All of the kids were cheering for him, too. The little girl chased him as hard as she could. That round ended when she tackled him to the ground. So...I'd say they did a great job explaining the game. Best game of duck, duck, goose EVER!


But this is the little boy who really stole my heart. 




His name is Beasone. Pronounced Bee-uh-sone. He's 10. And if I could've picked one little person to bring home, it would've been Beasone. We were quick friends. By Tuesday, he was by my side at all times. He wanted to be holding my hand or hugged or anything. There seemed to be a sadness in his eyes, and he didn't talk much. And I can't explain much about our connection, but I wanted to scoop him into my arms and hold him as long as I could. He wasn't one that the whole team flocked too, like Sadio. He was quiet and quite honestly, a wallflower for the first several hours we were there. But his smile is heartwarming. He was just a little boy that wanted some lovin'. 


On Tuesday afternoon, we were about to leave with no assurance that we'd be back in Nawash. And I was already thinking that this good-bye was going to hurt.  When it was time to go, I was hugging him close, and he looked at me, asking if I was coming back tomorrow. Tim told him that he didn't know if we'd be back at all, but definitely not tomorrow. Maybe later. But maybe not. So his grip tightened, and I rested my head on his head. In this moment, I really, really hated that I didn't know Creole. Because I wanted him to know that I cared, that I loved him. But that Jesus loves him more than I ever could.


So, I walked away, praying for my new friend, and then I started crying the second I sat on the bus. Maybe before I made it to the bus. I don't know what his life has looked like. I don't know who he lives with. I don't know if his Mama hugs him everyday or if he eats more than 1 meal a day. But something about sweet Beasone just broke my heart. 


Something I forgot to tell Adam... I get attached quickly. 


Thankfully, we got to go back on Friday morning to paint the church. And what do you know? My husband "accidentally" started a dance circle with about 15 Haitian kids. To which, I got pulled into the circle.


And pretty quickly, Adam and I were in the middle of this mass, dancing while everyone clapped and shouted and probably laughed. We then convinced everyone (tried to) that they, too, had to dance. 


And just like that, Nawash became a part of our hearts forever. And it reaffirmed that Adam and I are perfect for each other. 


Sometimes when I'm trying to fall asleep, I think about my friends in Nawash. I think about where those kids are sleeping. If they went to bed hungry. If they had any water that day. I wonder if a team has finished the church. If that team also fell in love with those kids. If someone held Beasone and made sure he got some hugs even though he's not an attention grabber. 


And I wonder what we're supposed to do with all of this. 


But one thing I definitely walked away from Haiti with is that I'm incredibly thankful for Adam. I'm thankful for his protective nature (umm...WOW!! we experienced this on a whole new level in Haiti). I'm thankful for his companionship, his questions, his listening ears, his heart for people, and his dancing abilities. Duh! I'm forever grateful that we're on this journey together. That we get to wrestle with all of this together, and we get to see God work in each other's lives through this. 









No comments:

Post a Comment