But He said, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Birthday Blessings

I had some really low expectations for my birthday this year. Last year, Adam and I were at the beach with my family, and it was awesome! It was the perfect combination of things I love: Adam, family, the beach, and Moe's. Which, I haven't had Moe's since then, which is sad. But I remember having a dance party with Adam, Kara, and Ryann and thinking, "This is the best way to celebrate a birthday!" 

Naturally, this year was going to look very different. Adam would be at work. My family at home. Not at the beach. And no Moe's in the state of Washington. 

We've had lots of family come visit us lately, and each time they were here, I tried to think of it as part of my birthday celebration. My in-laws definitely celebrated my birthday while they were here, and it was wonderful. We had some yummy meals, got lots of fresh fruit, and they got me a pair of much needed boots, along with some other treats! Still...leading up to the day of, I didn't have high hopes. 

But. I. Was. Wrong.

My friend and fellow coach took me to breakfast, and I LOVE going out for breakfast. It was so tasty. This will be her second year coaching the JV team, and our relationship has definitely shifted from a working necessity to a fun friendship. She also got me a super awesome North Face backpack. She told me it was a rite of passage to living in the Northwest. 

I then had a playdate with one of my adorable preschoolers from last year. She and I had a great year together, and she started asking me back in November if she could come over to my house. We had ice cream, went to 2 parks, a pet store, and made a quick treat stop at Target. It was so much fun. When I took her home, I got to visit with her mom, whom I love, for an hour. Being on summer vacation has been great, but I've missed these families very much!

By the time I got home, Adam arrived just minutes after me. And I got to open the presents that had arrived via mail. Birthday cards from the grandparents and aunts. I got an awesome hair straightener that has fixed my crazy hair that got a lot more wavy after cutting 6+ inches off! 

My parents gave me a tiger striped cardigan that I would never buy for myself because of it cost more than $20 and therefore more than I would pay, but I LOVE IT! Tigers are kind of my theme with my cheer team, and I will definitely be wearing this to our first competition! Along with it came some really fun jewelry to dress up my pretty basic work wardrobe, a gift card to get some jeans, and an envelope that said, "Open last." In it was a check and a note. My mom explained that the check was an investment in our future, and that they believe in us and God's call on our lives. And the money was to go towards saving for an adoption. 

Adam said, "Aw, are you going to cry?" I was until he said that. This was one of the most meaningful gifts. I know most parents believe in their kids, but it felt so loving and so affirming to have my parents know my heart in this way and sow into that desire. I don't know when the process will happen, but it encouraged my heart in unspeakable ways to have my parents rooting us on in our journey. 

From there my sweet husband took us to dinner and to ride the ferris wheel, as previously stated. He then told me that I needed to pack because we were going to Olympic National Park for the weekend. 

The weekend was pretty much perfect. I loved adventuring with my husband. I loved being away for the weekend. We commented over and over and over again about how thankful we were to be together in the gorgeous surroundings of Olympic. 

This was one of the best birthdays ever! 


No comments:

Post a Comment